FRIDAY 30th DECEMBER 2022
Matthew 2, 13-15.19-23:
“The angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream and said to him, “Get up, take the child and his mother and flee to Egypt; stay there until I tell you, for Herod is going to seek the child to kill him.” Joseph got up, took the child and his mother by night, went to Egypt and stayed there until Herod’s death”.
I like to contemplate Mary in the Gospel as a woman who is always walking, who is always on pilgrimage, who is always on the move fulfilling the designs of God the Father:
* She sets out to visit her cousin Elizabeth who is pregnant.
* She sets out to go to Bethlehem where she will give birth to the Saviour of the world.
* She sets out as a migrant woman to seek refuge and shelter in the land of Egypt.
* She sets out to find solutions at the wedding feast at Cana.
* She sets out with her Son through towns and villages when Jesus is proclaiming the Gospel of the Kingdom.
* She goes on the road with Jesus up Mount Calvary.
* And she sets out with the whole nascent Church on the day of Pentecost.
Behold her today, together with Joseph her husband, emigrating to Egypt and taking refuge in that strange country for them.
Mary also knows what it is to be a migrant and what it is to be a refugee fleeing from the tyranny of the powerful.
Give Mary and Joseph the gift today of doing what you can for a refugee or a migrant.
Good day to you.
Antonio Sanjuan Cmf